A friend of mine tagged me last month to play a blog game he created. I wasn’t sure if I would participate; I don’t always, especially when I’m already feeling overwhelmed with work and other responsibilities. But this time I actually have something to offer in the form of a sneak peak into the sequel to The Setup.
Here are the rules of the tag:
- Publish your own post on the first day of the month.
- Use the graphic above.
- Thank and link back to the person who tagged you.
- Explain the rules like I’m doing now.
- Post the first paragraph of a story you’ve written, are writing, or plan to write someday.
- Ask your readers for feedback.
- Finally, tag someone to do the post next month (for example, if you do the tag on the first of August, the person you tag has to do it on the first of September), and comment on one of their posts to let them know the good news.
Well, here it is, the first of March. The excerpt below isn’t a paragraph, but it’s the first part of a chapter in the middle of my romantic mystery work-in-progress, Sweat.
The other missed call was from a blocked number. She opened her voicemail box to listen to the message. It started off scratchy and garbled, as if it was a pocket dial, and Haley almost hung up. Then she heard a familiar, strained voice.
“I need your help,” the voice whispered. “I’m in trouble, but I don’t know where I am. He’s been stalking me for months, and when he found out I got a restraining order…”
The message ended. Haley pulled the phone away from her head and stared at the screen stupidly.
“What’s wrong?” Nat asked as she walked into the room wrapped only in a towel.
Haley met her eyes. “I think I just got a call from someone who was kidnapped.”
So, what do you think? Does it make you want to read more, or does it fall short of the mark?